Alvars can be best described as thin-soiled meadows rich in lime where there are almost no trees or bushes. Alvars can have up to 20 centimetres of soil but at times there is no soil at all and vegetation in… Read more

Artesian wells in Kärdla

The slanted limestone layers of the meteor crater near Kärdla, Hiiu County put pressure on groundwater. The water bursts out of the ground in an uninterrupted stream through pipes placed 10–15 metres under the ground’s surface. There are especially many… Read more

Emmaste Church

Construction of this stone church started in 1866, after the Sõru wooden church near the Emmaste Manor became usable. The land for the new church was presented to the congregation by the lady of the manor, Countess Brevern de la… Read more
At first, you don’t see more than just a large pile of rocks. Yet it is clear that the strength of ordinary hands would not be sufficient to achieve this. It is often thought this an ancient sacred place, a… Read more

Harju - Rätsepa post mill

A post mill with a classic wooden structure. The base of the mill is made of rocks without binder. The mill has a board roof covering and its body has horizontal boarding. It was built in the second half of… Read more

Helmersen rock field

Heilu rocks were first described and characterised by the Russian geologist Gregor Helmersen in 1871 and 1879. His name is also connected to rocks elsewhere in Estonia. With over 80 rocks on the 0.5 hectare plot, carried to their location by… Read more

Hiiumaa craftsmen's shop

Hiiumaa craftsmen’s shop is located in Kärdla in a historic factory yard of the Broadcloth Factory. Here, you can find unique handicrafts, souvenirs of Hiiumaa, local body care products, and many other beautiful items for decorating your home. The crafts… Read more

Hiiumaa Military Museum

The Hiiumaa Military Museum is located in the former Tahkuna board guard station. The museum’s most significant exhibit is the collection of coastal defence artillery. This includes 180 mm, 130 mm, and 100 mm artillery guns. The outdoor exhibition includes armoured vehicles such… Read more
Ristna Visitor Centre, which forms the centre of Hiiumaa Recreation Area, administered by the State Forest Management Centre (RMK), is in the village of Kalana, just off the Kõpu–Ristna road. It provides information about all leisure options offered by the RMK… Read more

Hill of Crosses

The Hill of Crosses is an area on the highway covered with crosses, the development of which is related to the expulsion of the Reigi Swedes in August 1781. Tsarina Catherin II signed an order that allowed the Swedes to… Read more

Kaibaldi area of loose sand

The largest area of loose sand in Estonia is located on Hiiumaa! If you think you have already seen everything Hiiumaa has to offer, we invite you to discover something completely different! In the Pihla-Kaibaldi Nature Reserve, in the middle… Read more

Käina church ruins

The ruins are located in the heart of the locality Käina. The church was built at the turn of the 15th – 16th century. The Gothic church in Käina seated 600 persons and was the biggest church on Hiiumaa. The… Read more

Kallaste cliff in Hiiu County

Kallaste cliff is a limestone outcrop, about 400 metres long and up to 10 metres tall. There is an old pine forest on the cliff, through which you can walk along the terrace. In the southern part of the cliff,… Read more

Kärdla City Park

The City Park takes up 5.2 ha. The first part of the park was established in the 1860s after the church was finished in a place called Kirikupõllu (Church field). A more thorough tree planting took place in the beginning… Read more

Kärdla factory square

In 1830, barons Ungern-Sternberg established a broadcloth factory in Kärdla. Today’s factory square formed the core of the factory complex. The four-storey broadcloth factory was located on the south side of the courtyard of the factory on the shores of… Read more

Kärdla fire station

Kärdla Fire and Rescue Society was established in the middle of the 19th century by the management of the broadcloth factory and it was based at the factory. The construction of the fire station began in 1928. The poor economic… Read more

Kärdla kirik (Church in Kärdla)

The church of Kärdla was dedicated to John the Baptist and was constructed in 1863. It is the third church in Kärdla. The barons of Emmaste, Suuremõisa and Putkaste were the initiators of the idea to build the church and… Read more

Kärdla's bridges or trumms

Three small rivers flow through Kärdla: Nuutri River, Liivaoja and Kammioja, as well as innumerable ditches, streams and streamlets. These waterways are bridged with small bridges called trumms (“drums”). The word trumm is borrowed from the Estonian Swedish language (trumma)… Read more

Kärdla's old power plant

The construction of the Kärdla power plant began in 1954. It is a fully functional diesel power plant with all the necessary machinery. All the equipment is in working order. The chimney of the power plant was built in years… Read more

Kassari Chapel

  • Kassari Tagaküla bussipeatus, Taguküla, Hiiumaa vald
  • +37253051858
  • kaina@eelk.ee
Kassari chapel is a building with romantic appearance that is the only functioning thatched-roof stone church in Estonia. Reputedly it dates back to 18th century because on the inner wall of the chapel there is a year 1801 that is… Read more
The limestone main building of the Kassari Manor is home to the permanent exhibition ‘Life on the island. Fire, water, air, earth.’ which gives a glimpse into the everyday life and events of the people of Hiiumaa, but also leaves… Read more

Kivi - Jüri monument

There is a monument called Kivi-Jüri in Hiiumaa that looks like a soldier’s head on a granite base, located at the crossroads of Heltermaa, Käina and Kõrgessaare highways coming from Kärdla. The authors of the monument are sculptor Endel Taniloo… Read more

KlaasiPank studio sale

The items offered by KlaasiPank are designed by artists Kalli Sein (glassware, corporate gifts, glass clocks, awards, cups) and Valev Sein (stained glass, special design glass lamps and chandeliers, paintings). The studio offers a selection of smaller series items, glass… Read more

Knitting shop Üll

Knitting shop Üll is located in a lovely yellow building in Kärdla, in the historic Factory Square. There, slow fashion is made with fast knitting needles. Inspired by traditions and the latest trends, we make hats, scarves, gloves, socks, cardigans,… Read more

Kõpu lighthouse

The history of the oldest lighthouse not only in Estonia, but anywhere in the Baltic States and indeed on the Baltic Sea, stretches back 500 years, when landmarks were needed to guide ships in the Hanseatic League. The most important… Read more

Kõrgessaare orchids’ study bed

The study bed provides an excellent possibility for examining domestic orchids within a short period of time and without any guides. There are 10 species of orchids growing naturally on the study bed. The best time to see blooming species… Read more

Kuriste Church

The Estonian Orthodox Hiiumaa Church of the Birth of the Mother of our Lord in the Village of Kuriste was completed in 1873. The historicist-style stone church was established on the island in the course of the conversion movement. The… Read more

Kurisu sinkhole

Kurisu sinkhole is located near Kurisu village. The upper part of the sinkhole has a diameter of about 32 metres, in the lower part it narrows down to 12 metres, and it is 6.2 metres deep. In here, the creek… Read more

Long House of the Hiiumaa Museum

The main house of the Hiiumaa Museum has been located in the old directors’ residence of the former Kärdla Broadcloth Factory, popularly known as the Long House, since 1998. The house was constructed in the 1830s and 40s; the 60 m long house is… Read more

Long House of the Hiiumaa Museum souvenir shop

The souvenir shop of Hiiumaa Museum is located in Kärdla, in the Long House of Hiiumaa Museum. The shop sells a wide range of handicrafts and souvenirs made by local craftsmen. You can also buy paintings, glass art, jewellery, ceramics,… Read more

Luidja alder forest

Luidja alder forest may seem like an average black alder forest to everyday passers-by as you can find these trees elsewhere in Hiiumaa marshes and stream banks. But in fact this is an area which has more than a hundred… Read more

Mänspäe Chapel

The first chapel was erected in thanks to God by Danish seamen, who had escaped from a shipwreck on the Mänspäe coast. The chapel was built from the pieces of the shipwreck and is said to have had room for… Read more

Mihkli Farm Museum

Mihkli Farm in Malvaste village is an excellent example of the rural architecture of Northern Hiiu County. The buildings are mostly from the 19th century and there, visitors can get to know the local construction practices and household items. Until… Read more
Neljateeristi nature trail runs along the northern coast of Kõpu Peninsula. It is possible to examine the communities characteristic to Kõpu there. Möirasoo is a little coastal spring fen, where it is possible to see the yew tree that is… Read more

Orjaku Information Point

In summer, the information point of Orjaku village centre, located at the Orjaku harbour, provides the opportunity to see various exhibitions, buy local handicrafts, use the services of a public internet point, and find tourist information about the sights and… Read more

Orjaku study trail

Orjaku study trail runs mainly on the shore of the Gulf of Käina. The avifauna of the Gulf of Käina, which consists of 192 species, is interesting and biodiverse. In the autumn, 10–15 thousand water and coastal birds stop on… Read more

Palade House of Rocks museum

The exhibition in Palade House of Rocks museum provides a comprehensive overview of the landscapes of Hiiumaa, its geological history, the local fossils, the Kärdla meteorite crater, and the use of rocks over time. The museum includes an outdoor classroom which… Read more

Paluküla Health Trail in Hiiumaa

The Paluküla Health Trail in Hiiumaa invites you to enjoy the fresh air of the island and admire the local nature. There is a 1.8 km illuminated trail, where you can walk, run, cycle, or ski – depending on the… Read more

Partsi mill

The limestone Partsi windmill, built in the 19th century, is a smock mill with a frame in the shape of a truncated cone. The roof of the mill used to resemble an upside down boat. A pearling machine, millstones and some… Read more

Pühalepa Church

The Pühalepa Church is Hiiumaa’s oldest stone church. In 1255, the German Order started the construction of a stone fortress-church. Initially lacking a steeple, the arched stone church was completed in the 14th century; construction of the steeple started in… Read more

Reigi church

Reigi did not become an independent parish until 1627. Baron O. R. L. von Ungern-Sternberg had its stone church – which is dedicated to Jesus – built in memory of his son Gustav, who had taken his own life. The… Read more

Ristna Lighthouse

The Ristna Lighthouse is located on the Ristna northern cape, which is relatively close to the Kõpu Lighthouse, which is built on a rise in the middle of bogs and is therefore often concealed by fog. This was also the… Read more
This is not a shopping centre in the traditional sense of the word – it is a place that will give you something to look at and think about. Everything on display has been collected from our local beaches or… Read more

Rudolf Tobias House Museum

The house, built in the first half of 19th century, is one of the oldest and rarest small town residences in Estonia. Composer and organist Rudolf Tobias, the father of Estonian classical music, was born in the back room of… Read more

Ruins of Puski Church

During the period from 1889 to 1891, an apostolic orthodox church and a schoolhouse for the children of the congregation were built in Puski. The peculiar choice of location has been explained by the fact that the first Russian priests… Read more

Sääretirp

This unusual name marks the location of a unique headland. You know you are close to the destination if you see the statue of Leigri, a hero of Hiiu County. The esker runs from north-east to south-west. Its higher parts… Read more

Soera Farm Museum

The history of Sooääre farm, that was its the original name dates back at least for 200 years. The oldest part of the cottage-cum threshing barn originates from the first half of XIX century, it’s a threshing barn room with… Read more

Sooääre forest trail

After a visit to Soera Farm Museum it is interesting to look around in old farm lands. The trail runs in the forest close to the farm on former hayfields and grasslands and enters the marsh here and there. So… Read more

Sõru Museum

Sõru Museum is located in the village of Pärna in Emmaste parish and belongs to the Sõru Maritime Centre complex. The museum was established under the leadership of Ms Milvi Vanatoa with the aim of collecting and preserving the stories… Read more

Suuremõisa castle

The baroque Suuremõisa castle was constructed between 1755 and 1760, commissioned by Countess Ebba-Margaretha von Stenbock (née De la Gardie). Count Jacob Pontus Stenbock, who inherited the estate from his mother the Countess, exchanged it in 1796 for Uuemõisa manor due… Read more

Suursadam harbour

Scrolls mention Suursadam harbor for the first time as Sääre Sadam (Serle Ham) in 1593. In 1680 Dutchman Erasmus Jacobson built a bigger ship-building concern in Suursadama harbor. There were lime-furnaces nearby. The production of these lime-furnaces was sent to… Read more

Tahkuna Lighthouse

Tahkuna Lighthouse, situated on the north end of Hiiumaa, is a cast-iron lighthouse which’s construction started in 1873. Assembled of cast iron parts, utilising the so-called Gordon system, it was created with prefabricated details. The details were easy to transport,… Read more

The barns of Kärdla Marina

Only a wool warehouse built in 1849 remains of the barns that used to form the Kärdla Marina building complex; it was used by the Kärdla broadcloth factory (in business between 1830–1941) to store large balls of wool that were… Read more
Bronze bell – a ship’s or soul bell that starts ringing by itself in a strong wind. With the movement of its cross-shaped pendulum in a storm, it seems a bring a message from the sea – a bell tower… Read more

Tubala pile

According to legend, there was a pile in Tubala village which used to keep Hiiumaa fixed to the sea bottom so that it does not drift away. A pile was dug into the ground on 28 July 2003 to tell… Read more

Vaemla Wool Factory

The long white stone building is one of the few Vaemla Manor structures still standing and in use. The building was built in the middle of the 19th century as a hay barn for the manor. Currently, a family company… Read more

Vanajõe valley study trail

The Vanajõe valley study trail forms part of the Tihu landscape reserve and winds along the banks of the prettiest river on the island of Hiiumaa and the tops of its valley, which are up to six metres high in places.… Read more