Useful information
LIGHTHOUSE TOUR book
1. Contract stones and Otimäe stone burial place
2. Pühalepa church
3. Suuremõisa castle
4. Suursadam
5. Soera Farm Museum
6. Kärdla
7. Hill of Crosses
8. Tahkuna lighthouse
9. Reigi church
10. Kõrgessaare-Viskoosa
11. Kõpu lighthouse
12. Vanajõe Valley
13. Sõru harbour
14. Orjaku bird observation tower
15. Exhibits building of Hiiumaa museum in Kassari
16. Sääretirp
17. Kassari chapel and graveyard
18. Vaemla wool factory
 
0

Supported by European Union
 
 

SUURSADAM

When driving out from the manor yard, take the direction to Kärdla, or straight across the Heltermaa – Käina main road. In about 4.5 km a sign leads you to Suursadam harbour. Follow the next signs also.

Photo: Toomas Kokovkin
Photo: Toomas Kokovkin / www.fotokogu.com

Suursadam (Deep Harbour), Djuphamn in Swedish and Tiefenhafen in German, was the most important trading port and dockyard in Hiiumaa. This place was mentioned as a harbour for the first time in 1593. In the 17th century the port belonged to J. De la Gardie and Erasmus Jacobsson Bloedysel, a Dutchman who rented manors in Hiiumaa. Besides local ships, many other noblemen's ships landed in this port. For example from April 1692 to January 1693, 231 ships and boats stayed in this port. This was an active seafaring period.

The main buildings of Suursadam harbour originate mainly from the 18th-19th century, but nowadays the complex has lost most of its original look because of numerous new buildings and reconstruction work. The most extraordinary one is the harbour storehouse made of limestone. Presumably the building served as a granary, although it might also have been in use as a place where ship construction materials and repair parts were stored. The economic collapse at the beginning of the 18th century was followed by the new boom at the end of the century, when Otto Reinhold Ludwig von Ungern-Sternberg started his business in Hiiumaa. After he bought the Suuremõisa manor and Suursadam harbour, Hiiumaa became the main shipyard and loading area for his family. Although a stone storehouse existed in Suursadam as early as 1799, the imposing building, which stands today, may originate from 1815.

Unfortunately the sea level in the harbour descended every year and the sandbanks started to prevent the ships entering the port. Barque Hioma, the first Estonian ship, which crossed the equator, was constructed in Suursadam harbour in 1848. The crew consisted mainly of local Hiiumaa sailors; the captain was one Marcussen from Denmark.

The seagoing life continues even nowadays in Suursadam harbour. The port mainly functions as a repair depot for fishing vessels. Young sailors from Suuremõisa Technical School do their practical training here. Sometimes foreign yachts stop in the port.

Testimony to better sailing days can be seen in the little museum room. The engines, life rings, diving suits, and storm anchors in the storehouse also speak of sailors from the past and their hard work.

Surroundings

From the high banks of Hellamaa you can see a beautiful view of the sea. It is possible to stop by the Hellamaa windmill that was built in 1848. You will pass the old Kuri schoolhouse and the ruins of the Orthodox Church. There is also a memorial stone for the Estonian children’s writer Julius Oengo, also known by the name Oro.

 
previous map next
       
       
       
       
home home eesti keeles Suomeksi auf Deutch